Monday, January 19, 2009

Praising the LORD!

Okay, I was busy talking to my brothers and sisters in the back seats in our 15 passenger ford van, as we were on our way to Church yesterday morning. I was busy talking to them about a house that we had passed that had been on fire one day when I, by the Lord's guidance, went by about a month before and was able to call 911. ( Mom had handed me their cell phone as I was leaving to take my brother, Daniel, some gas as he had run out. ) ( There is no other way to explain it, except to say, It was the Lord!) Anyways... All of a sudden Dad says, " We're going in the ditch!" And away we went. It was the first warm day for a while, so it was very slick, the roads weren't plowed out that wide, and the one tire got caught in the snow on the edge of the road, and so we were slowly sucked into the ditch. We ended up on our side as the ditch was a deep ditch. (I'm glad it was! ) As we were loading up to go to Church, Simeon had asked if I would sit by him. I said I would. As I was getting into the van Dad said I could sit up front , as Mom and the twins were staying home from Church. I asked if I could sit up front on the way home as I had told Simeon I would sit by him already. So I was in the third seat back, by Simeon. Now I know why I was back there and not up front with Dad. It is no fun to be on your side, sort of hanging in your seat that you are sitting in, with two others on top of you in a way. ( plus a car seat) Interesting is all I can say about it. Simeon was crying and I was trying to get him out of his car seat. I had no idea where my Bible went that was on my lap, when we suddenly stopped. Micah was sitting in the back seat. Dad had opened up his door as the other side was against the ground/ ditch side/ snow. I'm thinking, "we have to get out of here!" " Micah, open the back doors and go out that way!" I am not real good when it comes to thinking fast and thinking clearly when something like that happens, plus staying calm. God must have given me the spirit of calmness. And I was busy with Simeon, and trying to calm him down, and get him out safely.
There was a lot of people who stopped and helped. We are thankful to them all! Dad's cousin who lived down the road took Dad home to get the little van, and two others took the rest of us to the Sheffield Volunteer Fire Department down the road, to wait for Dad. I had called Mom on the cell phone to let her know what happened. Dad called a tow truck from home. When Dad came back in the little van, I drove the rest of us, except for Caleb and Micah who wanted to stay with Dad.
So, that's why I am praising the Lord!! Praising Him that none of us were hurt, and the van is okay! I have a "Memorial Stone" to keep as a reminder of God's faithfulness and protection. A ruined Bible! ( It got all wet some how.) I could say it how Simeon said it last night. "Bethany's Bible got all wet in the ditch." All I can say is; PRAISE THE LORD!!!!! He is so good!

3 comments:

Melanie said...

WOW! God is SO good. I am so glad He protected you all. That is neat how He helped you to have a calm, clear mind when it happened. I often think that if I was in a situation like that, I would be hysterical and not know what to do. But God gives grace for each individual moment. He is so good!
Greet your family for me! :-)

Amanda said...

Yes, He is good!

Amy said...

Glad to hear you were all ok, and the van wasn't wrecked. Sorry to hear about the Bible though. That can be like losing a best friend! 2 years ago we went off the road in our 15 passenger van, crossed a lane of traffic (thankfully nothing was coming or we would have had ahead-on!) and came to rest in a soggy hay field. I think the mud slowed us down! All were well, except for ine person who wasn't wearing a seat belt- just some bruising there!

Mrs. R