Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Psalm 62 and my thoughts

"1 Truly my soul waiteth upon God: from Him cometh my salvation. "

2"He only is my rock and my salvation; He is my defense; I shall not be greatly moved."

3"How long will ye imagine mischief against a man? ye shall be slain all of you: as a bowing wall

shall ye be, and as a tottering fence."

4"They only consult to cast him down from his excellency: they delight with lies: they bless with their mouth, but they curse inwardly. Selah."

5"My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from Him."

6 "He only is my rock and my salvation: he is my defense; I shall not be moved."

7 "In God is my salvation and my glory;the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God."

8 "Trust in Him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah."

9 "Surely men of low degree are vanity, and men of high degree are a lie: to be laid in the

balance, they are altogether lighter than vanity."

10 "Trust not in oppression, and become not vain in robbery: if riches increase, set not your heart upon them."

11 "God hath spoken once; twice have I heard this; that power belongeth unto God."

12 " Also unto thee, O Lord, belongeth mercy: for thou renderest to every man according to his work." Psalm 62

Some things hit me when I read this chapter the other day. I have been writing, for the most part on this blog, about trust and trusting in the LORD. The heading over this chapter is ; "Depending on God". I wonder what would happen if we Christians would stop putting our dependence in ourselves or the things of this world and solely rely on the Lord? That is something I'm sitting here thinking about. It sure goes against our fleshly nature.
The first verse of Psalm 62 is a big reminder/challenge for me. Do I truly wait on the Lord? This is something that I need to work on in my life. I'm the kind of person who likes to have a long term plan and goal that I can work from. But that isn't how it works all the time with God. I think that the biggest lessons I have learned from, have been from not knowing what God is doing and where He is leading me through this life. Where I have to be trusting Him completely, and not knowing what the big picture is going to be, but I only see the now and the past. I can't see the future. I think this is where God really teaches us true trust in Him. And we will never stop learning this lesson until we die.
Our salvation only comes from Him! There was/ is nothing that we can do to earn our salvation.
It is only through Christ that we are saved. I know that there are people out there that say that "all gods/religions, lead to Heaven". Or "you do your thing and I will do mine and we will end up in the same place". I have a hard time with that. In John 14:6 Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life, no man cometh to the Father but by me." John 3:16-17 "For God so loved the world, that He sent His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth on me shall not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not His Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through Him might be saved. " Jesus came as a baby, died and rose again to bring us the gift of eternal life. He lived to die. Or I could say, He came to die. But on the third day something happened. He didn't stay dead and in the tomb! He arose from the grave! Amazing! Wonderful!
He came that we might have the gift of life offered to us. We have the choice to accept or reject the most precious gift that has ever been given to man.

In Verse 2 and verses 6-7, it reminds me of the parable that Jesus told about the wise and foolish men, and what they had chosen for the foundations for their homes. ( Matthew 7:24-27 & Luke 6:47-49) We can either build our lives on the Solid Rock ( Jesus Christ), or the sand ( the world and the things of the world).

In verses 11-12 I think that it is beautiful. I'm not sure what to say about it. Power and mercy belongeth to the Lord. What can I say to that?

I know that I have written a lot here. I guess that once I get started then I get going. :) I pray that what I have written makes sense to the ones that read it.






4 comments:

Melanie said...

It made sense to me! :-)
Thank you for sharing the whole Psalm with us; I love that Psalm.

Grace said...

I find that I can write out what I think about or see in things that I read in the Bible, better than I can talk about it. I really like the next chapter also. I think that is going to be a blog in the future. :)

Amanda said...

I think it's easier for me to write what I'm learning than talk about it, but I'm not very good at either. =P Thanks for your post!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Bethany. I appreciate you sharing that Psalm and your thoughts!